Ridesharing services, such as Uber and Lyft, have made it so much easier and more convenient to get around. However, a car accident involving an Uber or Lyft can be much more complicated than a normal accident. If you have been involved in an Uber/Lyft accident, you should immediately contact a Lyft accident lawyer in Jersey City.
What should you do after a rideshare accident?
What you do after an Uber/Lyft accident is of the utmost importance and can impact the outcome of your case. If you have been in an Uber/Lyft accident, you should take the following steps:
- Report the accident to the police immediately
- Document the accident as much as possible
- Gather information about the involved drivers, injured parties, and witnesses
- Get medical assistance immediately after your accident
- Do not agree on any settlement offers without consulting a lawyer first
- Contact a skilled Lyft accident lawyer
Uber/Lyft car accident policies
Both Uber and Lyft provide insurance coverage for their drivers. However, the coverage may vary based on when the accident occurs.
- The app is off
The company would not provide any insurance coverage if the Uber or Lyft app was off when the accident occurred. The driver’s own personal auto insurance will be applied in this case.
- The app is on, and the driver is waiting for a rider request.
If the accident occurred when the driver was logged into the app and was waiting for a ride request, then the company’s insurance coverage would apply if the driver’s coverage does not apply. The coverage can be from $50,000 to $25,000, depending on the damages.
- The app is on, and the driver picks up the rider during the trip.
If the accident occurred when the app was on and the driver was picking up the rider or driving with the rider in the vehicle, then the insurance can cover up to $1 million. The insurance can also provide limited coverage for damage to the driver’s car, and in certain states, it can also cover uninsured motorists’ coverage (UMI).
Speak to a skilled attorney today
If you have been involved in an Uber/Lyft accident, you should remember that your case may be more complicated than a simple car accident case. It is important to get the help of a legal professional, so you should consult an experienced Lyft accident attorney immediately following your accident.