It is much easier to remove someone from a group text message on an iPhone than you think. It is possible to delete someone from your future communications if you use the iMessage group messaging and they no longer belong.
This tutorial will show you how to add users, remove them, mute groups and deal with trolls.
Remove someone from the Text Message Group in iMessage
It can be a hassle to be added to an active group. It doesn’t matter what reason you have for wanting to delete someone from a group text message, it is easy to do so on your iPhone, even though the controls may be a bit obscured.
Everyone in the group chat must use iMessage (blue chat bubbles); it won’t work with regular SMS/MMS group chats or green chat bubbles. To enable the Remove option, you will need at least three additional people in the group chat (four total).
If is not displayed, the ‘Remove from menu’ option will not be available.
- Your group message has fewer than three members.
- You can see that a contact is using SMS messaging.
- An individual is using an operating system that is not Apple.
How to remove someone from a group message
If all other conditions are met, this is how to remove someone from an iMessage group.
- You can access the group chat by using your iMessage app.
- Tap the icon cluster at the top right of the iMessage Group.
- To open the group member list, tap the icon i’ on the right.
- Swipe left to reveal the name of the person to be removed and tap “Remove” once it appears to your right. You can swipe left to reveal the ‘Remove’ option. Please see the disclaimer.
- Select To remove from the pop-up.
This will immediately remove the individual from your message list. If you do not have the option of ‘Remove’, you will have to create a new thread with the contact you wish to remove. Your chat history will still be on your phone but they won’t get any new messages as long as your text messages are sent to the new group.
Remove yourself from a Group iMessage
If you meet the criteria above, you can remove yourself from any iMessage group. These steps will help you if someone adds to you to a group you do not want to join.
- Just open the group iMessage as before, and click the small or ‘i’ link under the profile photos.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Leave this Conversation.”
If you don’t see the option, it could be that someone isn’t using iMessage, or the group is too small for the criteria we have listed.
Adding someone to a group iMessage
You can always add a contact later if you haven’t found one. You can’t do this if you have an SMS user in your group.
- Just like we did above, open the information page. Click on the option “+ Add Contact”.
- Select the contact you wish to add to the group and do so as you would normally.
Mute a Conversation in iMessage
You can hide the alerts if you aren’t ready to end the conversation, but still want to have a rest. This saves you time and reduces the risk of a confrontation.
- Open group chat on your iPhone by tapping the circle of profile photos at the top.
- When you see the list of members, tap the ” i” option.
- Scroll to the bottom of the group window and select Hide Alarms.
This will prevent any phone conversation alerts from reaching your phone and effectively make them invisible.
Block the Contact
You can block a contact if you don’t have any other options. If you are unable to leave a group that you have never requested (such as spammers), then you will be forced to remove people from the group.
You can also block messages sent by members of a group.
- Open the group chat app for your iPhone. Next, tap the contact group button at the top.
- To open the group member list, click the blue or ‘i’for Info button in the upper right.
- Choose the person you wish to block.
- Select Block this caller.
- To confirm, select “Block contact”
This is crucial as iMessage will not always block the person unless the group window has been confirmed. This is the only option that you have, and we have a tutorial to show you how to do it.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
It shouldn’t be difficult to keep your peace in the digital age. This article will provide more information on how to manage your iMessage group.
Can I delete the whole group?
Unfortunately, no. The conversation can be removed by swiping, but all other members will still remain in the group. You’ll get a notification whenever someone sends a message to the group. The conversation will then reappear on your messaging app.
What can I do to update the contact information of someone in the group
Yes, the ‘i” above should allow you to access the phone numbers of users. You can add the new contact to your group if it doesn’t update correctly.
What happens if I ban a contact in a group messaging with me?
You can still block people in a group iMessage if you do so. However, they won’t be able to see your messages and you won’t be able to see theirs. You can remove a contact from the iMessage group if they are bothering you.
Keep in mind that messages sent from you and blocked contacts can still be seen by other contacts.
Create a new group chat that excludes the Troll
If the group chat was initiated by someone other than you, and you are not responding to the troll, it may be necessary to unsubscribe from the chat. Then, create a new message forum that excludes the trolling. You can then notify the group by sending a message to let them know that you have started a new message group. This will allow people to mute or withdraw from the original group and start a civil conversation in the new one.
Are there any tips for dealing with trolls on text messaging, social media and online forums? Please comment below if you have any suggestions.