Do you want to take underwater photos with your action camera? Or maybe you just want to make night-time videos. An action camera flashlight can help you get more out of your camera.
It can be difficult to find the right flashlight for your action camera. It can be confusing to choose from a variety of low-quality and cheap products on the market.
Before you buy a light for an action camera, here are some things to consider.
- Compatibility with your camera
- If you intend to mount it along with the camera, this is an important consideration.
- Beam strength or luminance : For underwater applications, you need more beam strength. For general purposes, Luminance is important.
- Weather sealing and/or waterproof enclosure: Action cameras can be used in extreme weather conditions and also underwater. The right light for your camera is important.
- Battery life: You can take pictures for longer periods of time if you have extra batteries.
- The price: Many low-quality, cheap products are on the market. The price range for good lights is $30-$70
Here’s a list with the top five recommended action camera flashlights. In the following, we will detail their key specifications and pros and cons.
What is an action camera flashlight?
An action camera flashlight can be used in conjunction with an action cam. The flashlight can either be mounted on the action camera or be used as a standalone light source.
An action camera flashlight can produce around 300 lumens, which is enough light to take good video. These flashlights can also be used underwater and can reach depths of 30-50m.
You can mount the flashlight alongside your action camera to ensure that you have the right lighting for your videos.
Action camera flashlights that are best for night photography can produce intensely bright white light, which can last hours with good batteries. This is the only way your action camera will work in low light or at night.
Protection for your action camera is also recommended. This will allow your action camera to function underwater. A microphone attachment can be used with your action camera.
What is the best action camera flashlight?
When shopping for a flashlight to fit your action camera, the most important consideration is whether it can withstand harsh environments and other elements.
These are the top action camera flashlights you can purchase. They are not in any specific order, and each one has its pros and cons. You can review the features to decide where you want your money to go.
LitraTorch 2.0 Flashlight
The LitraTorch offers the most versatile adventure photo and video lighting on the market. The Torch measures 1.5×1.5 inches in size and emits 800 lumens high-quality light.
The LitraTorch 2.0 features dimmable 16-LED lights and is compatible with almost all action cameras, including smartphones, GoPros, DSLRs, Canons, Nikons, Camcorders, and most action cameras.
- Adjustable brightness settings with 800, 400, and 100 Lumens
- Ultra-wide beam angle to match wide angle camera formats
- 5700k, flicker free, smooth light pattern (daylight temperature)
- Micro-USB, Lithium ion rechargeable batteries
- Waterproof, drop proof, aluminium body construction
- Two 1/4-20 standard camera mounts allow for flexible mounting
- Belt clip, GoPro mount, embedded magnet
Nitecore GP3 Action Camera Light
The NITECORE GP3 small LED light works with GoPro, Sony and other action cameras. The light is impact-resistant and waterproof. It also has a sliding diffuser that allows for softer output. The maximum beam throw is 344 feet without the diffuser.
This light is the best on the market and has all the features you need to use your action camera.
- You can choose from five output settings, ranging in brightness from 1 lumen up to 360 lumens.
- Maximum beam throw of 344 feet
- The mount can be used to mount your light or the camera alone.
- It can also be used with the GoPro-style AHDBT-302 batteries (not included).
- GP3 includes one NLB MP3 (1180 mAh), and a micro USB charging cable. It can last for up to 100 minutes when fully charged.
- Waterproof, IPX8 rating. Submersible up to 33 feet. Impact-resistant up to 5 feet.
- Maximum brightness: High
- Compatible with all cameras
- All accessories required are included in the box
- Extreme brightness settings can reduce battery life.
- Online stores are not always able to offer this product.
GoPro Zeus Mini Rechargeable LED Light
This accessory is the official GoPro and you can rely on it for the job. This is an excellent action camera light, but the maximum brightness of 200 lumens may be too bright.
- You can expect the GoPro to tackle any challenge. This light is designed to be used on real-life adventures and is waterproof up to 33ft (10m).
- Built-in rechargeable batteries can be used for up to 6 hours. The battery life can vary depending on how it is used.
- It can be attached to any metal surface, including pipes, appliances, or automobile parts. It is ideal for use under the hood or around the house. Magnetic Swivel Clip Lights should not be attached to moving objects.
- The 360-degree rotation of the Ultimate LED Work Light allows you to adjust the angle of illumination. You can also attach it to a backpack strap, hat, table, or workbench for hands-free illumination. This makes it ideal for any setting or workplace.
- You can adjust the brightness to suit your needs, with 4 levels ranging in brightness from 20 to 200 lumens.
- Overdrive Mode: 200 lumens (bursts of super bright light lasting up to 30 seconds, for ultra-illumination). Strobe mode allows you to let others know where you are, and also lets them see you. This mode is great for signalling, being noticed, and throwing spontaneous dance parties.
- Mounting flexibility is enhanced by internal magnets and swivels
- Battery life is excellent
- Maximum brightness low
- It is expensive for all the features it has
Suptig Video Lighting Dive Light
This is the most widely used action camera flashlight on the market. This light offers many features that aren’t available in any other light on this list. It can also be used with many cameras.
- This light works with most GoPro hero action camera models, as well as other brands.
- Lights come in five colours: White light, Red light and Blue light. Pink light, pink light, and Golden light. The brightness of different colour diving lights can also be adjusted to suit your needs.
- The light can be waterproof to up to 147 feet (45M). You can also take photos and videos at the bottom to create the perfect visual effect.
- The light can withstand extreme heat and rain, and is waterproof.
- The 2600Mha lithium-ion battery powers the light. It can run for 2.5 hours white lights, 3.5 hours red lights, 3.5 hour pink lights, 3.5 hour pink lights, 3.5hours golden lights, 3.5hours blue lights, and 3.5hrs blue lights.
- The 72-led high-brightness, high-brightness LED design used by Suptig Diving lights provides bright and wide-angle light. The light angle is 60 degrees.
- Light comes with a 24 month warranty and a 30 day money-back guarantee.
- Bright and reasonable
- Compatible with all cameras
- Weatherproof and waterproof
- Provides different colour options
- Quality is not high in terms of construction
- Reports of depth below 45m are not supported
- Uses offset mounting better
ULANZI PRO L1 / CUTE LITE
Ulanzi L1 PRO / CUTELITE is a light tool for creators that can go anywhere and conquer any challenge. The lightweight, portable CUTE LITE is just 1.6 inches tall and packs enough power for a large room.
- Water resistance: IP68 (diving depth 10 metres), Magnetic charging port, enclosed body provide water resistance up to 10m/30ft
- Colour Temperature 5500K, gives you a balanced light for your video
- Illumination: 0.5m(1000Lux)/1.0m(300 Lux)
- Illumination Angle: 60 degrees
- Battery Capacity – Lithium Battery (3.7V/800mAh).
- The latest imaging LED technology emits a daylight balanced light with a 95+ CRI.
- Working Time: 1 (max brightness) – 4 Hours (min brightness).
- Weight: 70g
- Size: 414138mm
- Bright enough for indoor use
- Waterproof to 30 feet/10 m
- Value for money
- Many accessories included in the box
- The magnetic charger is weakly connected
- Because of the small, concentrated light source, it is not suitable for lighting people.
- Battery life is shorter
Because of the unique point of view that action cameras can provide, they have revolutionised videography. Action cameras can be mounted in many creative ways to provide different perspectives of the scene.
However, action cameras do not have low light capabilities as a DSLR/Mirrorless camera. The footage can also become grainy and almost unusable because they don’t support high ISO. You can only add low-light capabilities to your action cam with a flashlight.
They must also be able to deal with a lot of abuse and require protection in order to perform well over time.